Salt Lake City, Utah|
|Headquarters||Meridian, Idaho, United States|
|Revenue||$178 million in 2009 ($182 million in current dollars).|
Scentsy Inc. is a candle warmer company founded in 2004, and based in Meridian, Idaho. The company offers various types of candle warmers, or wick-less candles, which it claims are safer than regular candles. The intent of these candle warmers is to release highly-scented fragrances that are mixed into bars of wax, without creating the obvious fire risk associated with the use of normal candles. It markets over 80 of its own brands of scented waxes for use in its warmers. It also markets scented room sprays and what it calls "scent circles," which are similar to the air fresheners used in passenger vehicles.
Scentsy sells its products via a fast-growing, multi-level, direct selling structure, using the party plan model to spread awareness of the company. Scentsy refers to its multi-level sales force as consultants. From May 2009 to January 2010, Scentsy's sales force grew from approximately 30,000 to over 75,000. With this growth in consultants has come an 8,000 percent growth in sales revenue "to a little more than $178 million between 2006 and 2009 as a result" ($182 million in current dollars). As sales have grown, Scentsy has grown with it moving from its original location in a Salt Lake City basement, to a 40-foot (12-metre) shipping container on a sheep farm in rural Idaho, to a 60,000-square-foot (5,600-square-metre) office facility. This extraordinary growth led the national business magazine, Inc., to label Scentsy, "America's fastest-growing consumer products company." Inc. ranked Scentsy 19th overall in its annual "Inc. 500 | 5000". Within the consumer products and service industry, Inc. ranks Scentsy number one.
In 2009, Scentsy experienced a troublesome migration to new corporate software. This gave rise to sales difficulties in the crucial Christmas season. Further, internet discussions regarding Scentsy were "in a negative spiral." To pull the company out of its quagmire, Scentsy held a number of web-based competitions using the company's online social networking presence, especially Facebook. Leveraging social networking thusly, Scentsy experienced a dramatic increase in sales. Consequently, in 2010, Scensty was awarded the Success Award from the Direct Selling Association "for its use of social media and emerging technologies."
The Scentsy scents include Citrus Sun Tea, Guava Nectar, Hazelnut Latte, Mochadoodle, Sentimental Cider, Central Park Pralines, Christmas Cottage, Christmas Tree, Cozy Fireside, Eskimo Kiss, Gingersnap, Poinsetta Pine, Snowberry, Spiced Grapefruit, Winter Wonderland, Berry Bush, Enchanted Mist, Flirtatious, French Kiss, Lucky in Love, Silhouette, Simply Irresistible, Twilight, Vanilla Suede, You go Girl, Echo, Hemingway, My dear watson, Peligro, Rustic Lodge, along with many others.
Two times each year, Scentsy and its charitable arm, Scentsy Family Foundation, select a charity to benefit from the sales of a particular product, usually designed to tie in with the charity selected. The latest charity with which Scentsy has teamed up is the National Breast Cancer Foundation (NBCF). The fall/winter 2010/2011 goal is to raise $500,000 for the NBCF. As at October 19, 2010, $150,000 had been raised. Scentsy does not indicate what percentage of the sales of the earmarked product go to the NBCF.
- “Meridian’s Scentsy Celebrates Tremendous Growth,” KTRV. October 28, 2010 (Updated November 10, 2010). (Retrieved 2010-11-11.)
- “Scentsy Story” Scentsy.net (Retrieved 2010-11-11.)
- “Scentsy Offers ‘Love, Life, Hope’ Decorative Warmer to Support National Breast Cancer Foundation,” Reuters.com October 19, 2010. (Retrieved 2010-11-11.)
- “Fast Facts about the company,” Scentsy.net (Retrieved 2010-11-11.)
- “America’s Fastest-Growing Consumer Products Company,” Inc. September 1, 2010. (Retrieved 2010-11-11.)
- "Flameless Candles, Scented Candles : Buy Scentsy Candles". http://www.scentsy.net.
- Fong, Jennifer. “Interview with Scentsy: A Direct Sales Company Using Social Media Marketing Successfully,” Direct Sales & Social Media. May 26, 2009. (Retrieved 2010-11-11.)
- “Scentsy,” Company profile, Inc. September 1, 2010. (Retrieved 2010-11-11.)
- Scentsy, Inc., v. Performance Manufacturing, Inc, Rimports(USA), LLC, Jeffery W. Palmer and Mike Duff, (Idaho District Court; Filed: December 2, 2008).
- “DSA Honors Four MLM Companies with Industry Awards,” MLM.com October 28, 2010. (Retrieved 2010-11-11.)
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Scentsy.|
The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Admin Tools Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Licence.